We live in a fast changing world of technology, information and big data confusion. More and more marketers, IT professionals and database analysts are talking about clean data and ways of data cleansing. To find the right cleansing solution, we need to understand the root cause of dirty data and thus its content origins.
Bogus or fake data is one of many parts of not clean or dirty data. Consumers are reluctant to share their privacy data since they do not want to be bombarded by promotion Emails from shops, insurance companies, real estate brokers, etc. Sometimes, B2B customers also provide bogus data trying to curb a follow up marketing email. The most typical bogus data cases are:
- Faking live Email address that has been created just for the purpose of one time sign in to get access to a website;
- Submitting names of friends, relatives, celebrities with the made up address e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org;
Providing wrong spelling in an Email;
- Changing the digits in the phone number;
- Making up street name;
- Changing postal code digits.
Due to its human nature the fake data is really hard to prevent. Regular data monitoring and timely data cleaning might be of real help.
So how do you go about cleaning the bad data that you collected?
- Catch bogus data using some rules such as repetitive characteristics.
- Data not matching the required format (including missing data)
- Data validation services – using third party tools to validate your emails prior to deployment.
However, should you try to fix bad data? While you do want accurate data in your system, you also may not want to include the records of people that did not want to provide it for you. On the other hand, you do not want to lower your deliverability score due to bogus emails in your system or increase your marketing cost due to bad data in your system. Regardless, if you decide to fix the data, flag bogus records or delete these records, one thing is for sure, you need to identify bogus data.
If you are looking for a data cleansing services which help companies identify bogus records, StrategicDB can help. We work with third party data providers to clean your historical data as well as help establish data governance rules to identify bogus records in the future. StrategicDB also provides analytical services to help establish the root cause of getting bogus data in the first place. Contact Us Today.